Our Family Preventive Services program prevents unnecessary or inappropriate placement of children into foster care and helps families function productively. For more than 20 years, we have served families who have serious problems-including child abuse, neglect, substance abuse, depression, inadequate parenting skills, physical or emotional conflicts, unemployment and intergenerational conflicts-in Brooklyn's high-need Bedford-Stuyvesant and East New York neighborhoods.
During the past year, we served 488 families with 1,060 children. 97.7% of children were able to stay with their families and avoided foster care placement. The New York City Administration for Children's Services rates our Preventive Services program as "excellent."
- Stabilize and keep families together, and prevent inappropriate foster care placement
- Provide comprehensive services to families who have one or more children under the age of 18
- Improve family functioning as a unit and as individuals within the family structure
- Encourage the highest level of coping skills and adaptive behavior and development for each family member
- Promote independent functioning where needed, such as education and employment